Friday 29 July 2011

A quarter of a year

Today sees 13 weeks completed; I've been away for a quarter of the year! I'm sure that at no time in my life have three months passed so quickly. I can recall days from early on the in the ride and they feel like only a few weeks ago. And it certainly doesn't feel as if a fortnight has passed since I arrived in Penzance on 15 July, more like a week or even less.

I haven't felt fitter, or more alert and alive, for years. I've now lost two stone since I started training in the middle of March and I'm determined to keep to my current weight of 12 stone. That will probably entail a change of lifestyle when I return home, cutting down on certain foods, especially bread. Also there'll be no chocolate, unlike each day when currently I get through at least one Mars and one Twix bar, as well as a flapjack.

I said yesterday that from now until I finish I'll be giving a daily 'do' or 'don't' for the future. So, my first one is "to accept the rough with the smooth". Not every day, or hour, is going to be fun. There'll be bad days and unhappy moments. But overall it's a good life, so learn to enjoy all of it.

Today I zipped along the A259 to Eastbourne, coping with two long steep hills at Exceat and East Dean, before hugging the coast to Pevensey, Bexhill and Hastings; I hadn't been to these last three places before, for some strange reason. Then it was on to the pretty towns of Winchelsea and Rye, before crossing the marshes to New Romney where I needed a B&B to top up with electrical power after three nights' camping (as well as needing a shower). This is my first B&B since Bude, in North Cornwall.

No comments:

Post a Comment