Tuesday 19 July 2011

Positive thinking

This is Monday's Blog. Last night the signal was weak and erratic. I also tried uploading photos, but no luck. I'm sending this from Portwrinkle on Tuesday night.

The first task today was to find a bike shop. So, into Falmouth where there was bound to be one (I thought). Surprisingly for a town of some size, there wasn't; the nearest was in Penryn, I was advised. That was fine, as that was the next harbour on the route. I found the shop, but had to wait half an hour for it to open. When it did, 'Cycle Solutions' were very helpful and managed to change both front and rear brake pads, as well as fitting a new water bottle holder (one had broken).

Setting off from Penryn at 10.30 meant that I was running rather late, so the King Harry Ferry was the obvious choice for crossing the Fal Estuary, rather than the huge loop to Truro which had been the original plan. The hiils kept coming as I visited riverside quays at Mylor, Devoran and Point. For every up there's a down, I tell myself. In life it's the other way round: for every down there's an up. I do believe in positive thinking!

When I reached St Mawes the tide was very low and the ferry to Place Quay was unable to run for an hour. When it did go, I had to remove panniers etc as there were steps at either end.

It was then on to Portscatho, the original intended destionation for the day, and Portloe. By this time the drizzle that I'd put up with for much of the day had turned into a steady downpour. So although I could have continued (it was only 17.30) I stopped for the night at a campsite just outside Portloe.

No comments:

Post a Comment