Saturday 23 July 2011

Busy roads and even more hills

After enjoying an excellent breakfast chez Derek and Rosemary, I set off just before 08.30. First stop was a tiny harbour at Babbacombe, part of Torquay. I left my bike at the top of the hill; as you can see, it was the steepest I've seen so far, at 30%.

A few hills later I crossed the river at Teignmouth, where there's a commercial port operated by ABP. The holiday season seems to be in full flow and the roads are very busy. But perhaps that's just a reflection of being in the overcrowded south of England.

I was pleased to get off the roads shortly after Cockwood, where I was able to follow the Exeter Canal as far as the canal basin in the centre of Exeter. From a promising start the clouds had gathered and as I set off southwards on the opposite side of the estuary,, it started raining. It continued, mainly as drizzle, for much of the afternoon.

Continuing to Topsham, Lympstone and Exmouth I turned eastwards at last and ended the day at a busy (and noisy) campsite at Salcombe Regis, near Sidmouth. As I write this after 22.00, there are screaming kids in a tent nearby. Schools broke up today...

With only a weak intermittent internet connection, uploading this (and the photos) will probably have to wait until tomorrow.

No comments:

Post a Comment