Saturday 16 July 2011

First pastie

This is Friday's Blog

The expected rain today mainly stayed away. A 30-minute downpour at Portreath was all that really happened, and I was safely tucked away at the time in the new Atlantic Cafe, enjoying a coffee and cake. Onlyopen for three months, the cafe deserves to prosper, as an Americano coffee was only £1.30.

The day had started very early, writing the previous day's blog at 05.00; I was away from the campsite by 06.30. The roads were quiet, but the hills were still in evidence. The first stop was at Perranporth, where my eye was caught by a sign advertising Cornish Pasties. They had just come out of the oven, so rather than eat mine there and then, I put it in the bag on my handlebars. For the next four miles the smell wafted up in my face until I could stand it no longer. I found a convenient bus shelter near St Agnes and consumed said pastie. Wonderful. I'm sure there'll be more as I progress through the county.

After visiting the derelict harbour at Trevaunance Cove, I continued to Portreath and Hayle, before taking National Cycle Route 3 to Penzance, via Marazion. I caught a lovely view of St Michael's Mount as I crested the final hill.

Bundy arrived at Penzance Station at 17.30, where Nenen and I met her; it was good to see her after 11 weeks (exactly) away. There's no internet signal here at Tregavarah, north of Penzance, as we're in a valley, but hopefully tomorrow I'll walk up the hill where there should be a connection. Facebook and this Blog will just have to wait. Tomorrow it's off on a wet and windy circuit of West Penwith, via St Ives and Lands End, and back to Penzance.

No comments:

Post a Comment