Tuesday 19 July 2011

Pizza at last

In order to meet Little Saxham neighbours Graham and Lynn in Fowey (where they are holidaying) for lunch, an early start was needed. So I was up and away from the campsite by 07.20. Up and down the hills to Gorran Haven and Mevagissey, pretty harbours both, but sadly no sun to improve the quality of photographs. This really was a day when bright, sunny weather was needed, with a host of 'picture postcard' harbours to visit.

Next was Pentewan, with its enclosed dock now cut off from the sea by shifting sands. Then Charlestown, with its famous dock that has been used in many films, with tall ships sitting alongside.

Par Docks were not visible from the road and access was 'strictly forbidden', so it was on to Polkerris, another 'new' harbour for me. I left the bike at the top of a steep hill and walked down to the unspoilt beach and harbour. I still had half an hour to spare, so continued to Fowey. Whilst waiting for Graham and Lynn I tried unsuccessfully to upload the previous day's blog and photos; it seems that the internet signal at sea-level is rather poor in this area.

Lunch for me was a huge pizza - the first for weeks. That tasted good and set me up for the second half of the day. An overcrowded Polperro was next, with Looe to follow. There, I tried to see Jeff Penhaligon, the Harbour Master, whom I knew from my old port days, but he had "gone home early". And this was only 16.30...

I had been a little concerned about making it as far as Portwrinkle, where I had pre-booked a B&B. But I arrived there, leg-weary, soon after 18.00. A good meal followed at the local pub.

No comments:

Post a Comment