Tuesday 31 May 2011

Spoilt rotten

Having enjoyed a luxurious night in a double bed, I allowed myself to be persuaded by Dave Fergusson to drive me and the bike around the little harbours and jetties of North Skye. So instead of an arduous day cycling into the wind across hilly terrain, I was able to gain plenty of miles on my schedule.

Dave (pictured left with partner Heather) took me to Stein (where we stopped for a coffee at the 18th century Stein Inn), Dunvegan, Colbost, Meanish and Neist Point, before returning me to Dunvegan to set off on my way south. Neist Point is Skye's westernmost point and has an old jetty that was once used to supply the lighthouse keepers before automation.

So I was able to return to Sligachan where a plate of haddock and chips awaited me at the hotel. Tonight was supposed to be 'wild camping' at Neist Point, but with two long days scheduled (over 70 miles each), I'm glad to be some 30 miles further on; with luck I'll make Armadale and the ferry to Mallaig tomorrow, although the forecast is grim ('heavy rain').

A whole month has passed since I left Ipswich, which doesn't seem possible. I already have plenty of grteat memories, especially of people I've met, or stayed with.

1 comment:

  1. It was great to meet you Bob and a pleasure having you stay. Best of luck with the rest of the journey.

    ReplyDelete