Monday 30 May 2011

Blue Skye

It rained for most of the night, and there was a sharp shower at 07.30, but by the time I left an hour later the sun was shining. And it stayed that way, mostly, all day. The first day for ages without rain.

It was lovely to see Skye in all its beauty, especially the Trotternish Peninsula north of Portree. The Old Man of Storr, that strange pinnacle, was attracting lots of walkers, judging by the number of cars parked at the foot of the mountain.

Portree Harbour was as pretty as ever, with its coloured houses lining the quay (much like Tobermory). Having cycled the coast road between Portree and Uig (in the other direction) once before, I had forgotten how hilly it was. Just as well it was a relatively short day, at about 45 miles.

Dave Fergusson came and met me just outside Uig and transported the bike (and me) to his house on the hill, overlooking Uig Bay; he and Heather have made me most welcome, with a lovely meal provided as well as a double bed for the night.

Can't believe I've been on the road for a whole month...

I've uploaded 23 photos to Facebook, the most I've done in a day until now.

No comments:

Post a Comment