Sunday 5 June 2011

A doddle of a day

Last night I tried to get an internet connection, but it kept dropping. Spent ages uploading photos, but only nine got through, leaving a further eight to send today. I left Craignure at 07.20 as heavy rain was forecast from 10.00. The plan was to get to Tobermory as soon as possible and find a B&B - essential as I had virtually no power left on either the phone or the netbook; the camera and satnav were both getting pretty low, too. This is one of the problems on a trip such as this - finding somewhere to re-charge all the technology. Occasionally a pub or hotel, such as the one at Poolewe, has plug sockets available, but this is rare. So after three nights camping (Kilchoan, Gruline and Craignure), I needed power!

I arrived at Tobermory at 10.15, via the ferry slipway at Fishnish and the recently renovated pier at Salen. The first guest house I tried, right on the waterfront, had a single room available. Fantastic! The proprietor said it's 'impossible' to find accommodation in Tobermory after midday, so I was lucky - and pleased I'd bothered to get up early (despite the midges, which were massing for attack). The expected rain didn't arrive until 15.00, but it's been a steady downpour since then. Glad I'm not camping.

I spent much of the afternoon uploading the 'missing' photos from days 6 to 11, which can now be seen on Facebook.

So that's Mull circumnavigated. Fabulous scenery, but no otters or sea eagles. Some great jetties though. I've now spent six and a half days on the islands of Skye and Mull. I've encountered all sorts of weather, from storm force winds to sublime, still mornings. Back to the mainland tomorrow and heading north (the 'wrong way') for a while, negotiating sea lochs as far as Fort William, before turning south to Oban.

No comments:

Post a Comment